Sunday Street Team: Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young


Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young
Published by Wednesday Books on April 24th, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 352
Format: eARC
Source: Publisher
Goodreads
🌟🌟🌟🌟

Synopsis
Seventeen-year-old Eelyn’s world is war. Raised to fight alongside her Aska clansmen in a generations-old blood feud against the Riki, her life is brutal but simple: fight and survive. Until the day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Faced with her brother’s betrayal, she must survive the winter in the mountains with the Riki if she wants to make it back to the fjord after the thaw. But when she begins to see herself in the people she’s been taught to hate, the world Eelyn once knew begins to crumble. And after the village is raided by a ruthless clan many believe to be a myth, Eelyn is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend who has tried more than once to kill her. Together, they must end the blood feud between their clans or watch their people be slaughtered.
A lush, Viking-age inspired fantasy about loyalty, forgiveness, and the definition of family.

Book Information


Review

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this book. After all, I had never read a book like this or even close to it. I desperately wanted to love it, even though fantasy is not my go-to genre. It looked interesting enough for me to at LEAST give it a shot. Holy hell, I am SO glad I did!

I love when fantasy books open with an action scene. It always pulls me right in and I love that feeling. It makes me excited to keep reading, excited to visualize the action sequences, visualize the characters within these sequences. I loved getting an early look at Eelyn and her strength, both physical & mental. It's not often that we get such an early look at the fierceness of women warriors.

It's hard to keep up intensity in a book like this, but Young does a great job of it. She manages to keep the intensity going without making the reader feel like it's "too much" Yes, this book is gory. Yes, this book is bloody, but oh man did it surprise me in the BEST way. You all know I don't have a problems with gore in books, but I kept hearing that it was gory, and I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to handle it. Spoiler alert: I was fine.

With fantasy books, I worry about the problem of info dumping, basically when the author dumps WAY too much information on the reader too soon & too fast. So I was worried about that with this book. Thankfully there was no info dumping with this book. Again, Young did a great job at giving us information about the Riki, the Aska and probably the deadliest group, the Herja.

Final thoughts: If you love fantasy, read this book. If fantasy is not your thing, still read this book.

Author Information

Adrienne Young is a born and bred Texan turned California girl. She is a foodie with a deep love of history and travel and a shameless addiction to coffee. When she’s not writing, you can find her on her yoga mat, scouring antique fairs for old books, sipping wine over long dinners, or disappearing into her favorite art museums. She lives with her documentary filmmaker husband and their four little wildlings beneath the West Coast sun.
Facebook

Giveaway

Tour Schedule
4/1 Tour Stops
Review  - Flyleaf Chronicles
Guest Post - A Backwards Story

4/8  Tour Stops

4/15  Tour Stops
Review - Hopeful Reads
Review - Aimee, Always

4/22 Tour Stops
Interview - Bookstacks Amber

4/29 Tour Stops
Guest Post - Sarcasm and Lemons
Interview - Tween 2 Teen Books


No comments