TTT Books That Are Worth the Hype


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Artsy Reader Girl.
This week's topic is Books That Are Worth the Hype.

Alexia's Picks
1. Caraval by Stephanie Garber. This book was one of the most beautiful books I've ever read in my life. Totally worth the hype.

2. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I just read this one last month and it hit me like a ton of bricks. So beautiful, heartbreaking and just so damn good.

3. Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake. This book really messed with my head, but it was Blake's best book yet, I'd say.

4. Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson. This book messed my brain up so badly, I didn't know what was what.

5. The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis. A captivating & delicious book that has a very distinct ending that I can still remember with absolute precision.

6. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Ugh, this book was so good, so heartbreaking and so beautiful. Of the two books of Sepetys that I've read, I'd say this one is the strongest one.

7. The Nowhere Girls by Amy Reed. This book WRECKED me. I mean, holy cow this book exceeded my expectations and cemented itself as one of my all time faves.

8. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. This book was a lot fluffier than I normally read, but it was so good and totally worth all the hype.

9. Cinder by Marissa Meyer. I was a bit late to the game, but this book impressed me in a big way and I finally understood the hype with this one.

10. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. Gorgeous writing, great romance and gorgeous setting. This book was well worth ALL THE HYPE.

Bekka's Picks

 1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I know this is going to be on a lot of lists today, but I couldn't leave it off. It was the very first book that popped into my head when I saw today's topic. 

2. Caraval by Stephanie Garber. I have to laugh because of all the overlap in mine and Alexia's lists. I had no idea she was including so many of the same books I planned to include. But anyway, I love this book. I know it's divisive, but the people who love it, LOVE IT, and it's so well deserved.

3. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. I love this book so much. People went nuts over it when it first came out and I was skeptical, but still thirsty for it. And when I read it, I fell in love. Beautiful writing, amazing romance, fearsome queen main character, and omg the food scenes.

4. Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. Illuminae really is all the things people tell you it is: creative, exciting, scary, action packed, engaging, twisty, and fun. There's no other series out there like it.

5. Cinder by Marissa Meyer. This series was one I never really planned to read. But then I won it in a giveaway and decided, why the hell not? I'm so glad I did! I love Cinder herself, Iko, the world, the villain, the action, the fun. And there are some darker elements, but these books are just SO FUN.

6. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. I know, I know, vampires. How 2009. But really, this series is almost perfect. Rose is and incredible heroine, the very definition of snarky and kick-ass. The friendships in this book are so strong, and I love the mythology and culture of the vampires. This is one vampire series I think stands the test of time.

7. Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. Contemporary doesn't get a ton of hype, but I'm really glad this one did. It's a story about overcoming anxiety and depression and mental illness, of being proud of who you are, of art and fandom and creativity and expression. It's also simply beautiful, aesthetcially. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll be so invested in these characters.

8. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee. People went bananas about this book when it was first releasing and with good reason! It's a wild ride across Europe but it's gay! Well, actually, it's bisexual which is even better. You'll love Monty, with his self-deprecating humor and his hilariously poor decisions. You'll love the ship and Felicity and the adventure.

9. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Even if this story wasn't relevant and powerful and timely, this would still be the perfect contemporary. Not only does it give a voice to the growing issues in this country, it's also full of believable and lovable characters, especially the family. Seriously, I want Starr's family to adopt me.

10. Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. I love this book! It completely swept me away and I swear it felt like I was in Italy alongside these characters, melting by the pool, in heaven, swimming in the waves, riding my bike around town and grabbing some gelato. The writing is immersive and beautiful and perfectly captures the feelings of adolescent longing.



What books do you think are worthy of the hype?

7 comments

  1. So many good books on your list! I've just finished The Nowhere Girls and I'm a bit lost for words! It was fab! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, fantastic list. I honestly agree with every single title you picked. They were all wonderful in their own unique way.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m happy to see Allegedly and Eliza and Her Monsters on so many lists today. They’re both sitting on my TBR shelf. I recently read Gentleman’s Guide, and it’s a new favorite.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caraval is one I'd really like to get to one of these days. And Illuminae *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  5. That top cover of The Wrath & The Dawn is lovely! I did like that book and Caraval. I'd like to read Allegedly, Girl Made of Stars, and Six of Crows at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allegedly blew my mind! Jackson is definitely good at the twisty tales. Eliza was wonderful. I'm a VA fan. TWatD was so beautifully written. Caraval was awesome. The Illuminae Files is one of my favorite series. WDMR sits on my favorites shelf, and SoC made my TTT this week. Whew! That's a list of epic up there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked Call Me By Your Name as a movie and I'm really want to try the book on audio since it's narrated by Armie Hammer. :)

    Check out my TTT and please vote in my Make Me Read It Readathon poll

    ReplyDelete