Top Ten Tuesday: Things That Make Me Pick Up a Book


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
This week we're talking about things that make us pick up a book

1. Hate to Love Romances
If I know two characters hate each other but WANT each other, I am 100% there. It's my go-to romance trope and it always, always works for me. 
2. Vampires
I am what I am. I was 6 years old when I first watched Interview with the Vampire on VHS and I've been hooked ever since. It looks like vampires are making a comeback in YA this year and I am so pumped for it.

3. Witches
Witches of all kinds! Wicca practitioners, brujas, flying on brooms, eating babies, reading the stars, fantasy witches, real life witches, all witches all the time. They're my absolute favorite.

4. Lost Princesses
My favorite fantasy trope, whether it's the main character who is the princess herself or the main characters are searching for their monarch. I know so many people hate it but I love the romance of it all. Who didn't dream of actually being princess to a beautiful kingdom when they were little?

5. Bisexual Characters
Especially in SFF. If I find out the MC is bisexual I am like 99% more likely to pick it up, no matter the plot.

  6. Sisters
Especially twins. I guess it's that I'm a decade or more older than my siblings, so I didn't have that type of relationship growing up. Whatever it is, I find it fascinating. 
7. Retellings
Retell anything, I don't care, I'll probably want to read it. Especially Beauty and the Beast or Hades and Persephone. I also really love reading retellings of stories I don't know, so then I get to discover a new fairy tale or myth.
8. Alternative Formats
I love epistolary novels. Diary entries, files, emails, texts, pictures. I love it all. I am like a thousand times more likely to pick something up if I find out it's written in a different sort of format.
9. Fandom
I don't read a ton of contemporary anymore, but when I see that a contemporary novel has a fandom element to it, I get excited. I haven't read a ton of it though, so I definitely need more!
10. Written in Verse
I know it's not for everyone but I love it. If done right it can be so evocative and give such a sense of voice. I want mooooore. There's simply not enough.

No comments