Rosie Reads Hibernate With Me

Hibernate With Me by Benjamin Scheuer & Jemima Williams
Published February 12th, 2019 by Simon and Schuster
Goodreads

Hibernate with Me is a gentle reminder that no matter how sad, small, or scared you feel, you are always worthy of love, and that brighter days are always ahead.

Sometimes you feel small. Sometimes you feel shy.
Sometimes you feel worried, and you might not know why.

Sometimes you want nobody to see.
Darling, you can hibernate with me.

If you feel scared or lost, or even just a little shy, love means there will always be a place to hibernate together.

A place that’s cozy, warm, and safe.

Before I became a parent I knew nothing of the world of picture books. But after two years of doing this, I am almost as obsessed as Rosie is. Picture books have featured some of the most beautiful art I've ever seen. Hibernate With Me is one of the most beautiful books Rosie and I have read together. I want to decorate her bedroom with Jemima Williams' artwork. You can see what I mean here in this video, as well as take a listen to the official Hibernate With Me Song.







Rosie has a handful of favorite things, chief among them being books and animals. There's really nothing she loves more than pointing out all the animals she knows wherever we go. So when I saw this cute little picture book starring bears living in the forest, I knew it would be a hit and I was right. She excitedly flipped through the pages shouting about the bears! and counting the butterflies.  The language is simple enough but still evocative that she understands what's going on. And the illustrations are vivid and bright and she loves pointing out things that are familiar to her, like the honey for the bears' tea and of course, the stars.



From a grown-up's perspective, this is one of those kids' books that will make the parent cry. Maybe it's just me but I am an absolute baby when it comes to books like these. Hibernate With Me features lines like "Sometimes things can feel confusing. Sometimes things feel grey. But if you're ever feeling lost, I'll help you find your way." The whole message of simply being there for our children as they experience their emotions.. I don't know, guys. It gets to me. I'm getting a little weepy just typing this out.





 If you have kids, this would be the perfect addition to their growing library. Especially with the accompanying song to sing along to, you'll get years of reading out of this story. If you don't have children but you're the type to collect picture books, add this to your list as well. The artwork alone is beautiful enough to frame and hang on the wall.

No comments