TTT: Books We'd Never Want to Live In

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
This week we're talking about books we'd never want to live in

bekka's picks

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This is the classic answer, right? None of us want to live in isolation or extreme poverty. We certainly don't want to be Reaped or have our loved ones suffer the same fate. I love this series and find the world fascinating, but I'd rather not ever have to step foot in it.

2. Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian. I love the magic system, and maybe I would have been fine living here before the country was conquered. But then everyone was killed and now it's being ruled with an iron fist by a man who is most certainly off his rocker. Another world I find to be beautiful and terrible, but not one I'd want to live in.

3. Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire. I do not want to live on the Moors. There are monsters and vampires and mad scientists and all manner of thing that could kill you in an instant. I do, however, desperately want to live in the world of the Wayward Children, where I could find a door that leads me to the world perfectly made for me. That would be amazing. But the Moors? I think not.

4. Shimmer and Burn by Mary Taranta. This is a world where magic has been poisoned, there are "fiends" who are addicted to it that turn almost zombie like in their quest for more. How terrible to live in a world with magic but you can't access it? 

5. Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh. There is so much going on here and I want nothing to do with living in it. First, necromancy, bringing people back from the dead. I don't think I'd want that; you could even force it on people if you really wanted to. Plus, if the Dead are seen, they turn to ravenous zombies. So. But also, the king of this magical land is hell-bent on making sure there is no change, no progress, in the society he rules. We already live in a world too similar to that, I'd not want to travel to a fantasy world where it's the same.

alexia's picks

1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This one is an obvious pick. in fact, I'd be shocked if this book isn't all over the blogoverse today. No one wants to live in poverty or in fear for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. I love the series, but there's no way I'd wanna live in the world of Panem.

2. In the After by Demitria Lunetta. Yeaaah, I think I'll pass on living in zombie world too. Very few things scare me, but zombies actually would. This book was so good, but it scared the hell out of me.

3. Gated by Amy Christine Parker. Not really a fan of being controlled or of being forced to follow a self imposed leader. Loved this book because I am fascinated by cults, but I sure don't want to be part of one.

4. The Program by Suzanne Young. Oh man, this world would be so unpleasant to live in. Depression & suicide are rampant and when it gets too bad, teens are whisked off to The Program and when they come out, they are a shell of their former selves.

5. All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. Yeah, not too excited about living in a jail cell, thank you. I did really enjoy this book, but I'm a weirdo who likes dark, depressing things.


Are any of our picks on your list?

1 comment

  1. This is such an interesting blog topic. My top pick for a book I would never want to live in would have to be The Handmaid's Tale.

    ReplyDelete