Top Ten Tuesday: Books to Beat a Slump

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
Today's topic is books to beat a reading slump

Bekka's Picks
 1. A Heart in the Body of the World by Deb Caletti. I knew when I sat down to write this post that I'd for sure be including this book. All July and August and have been pretty slow for me reading-wise. I couldn't get through anything, even a reread of my favorites. But then I randomly picked up my arc of this and I'm breezing through it! It's a fast-paced contemporary unlike any book I've ever read before.
2. Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. I'm sure we'll be seeing this one on a lot of lists this week. Due to its unique format, this is an easy, and fast, read. Just what you're looking for when you're in a slump.
3. The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wong. I don't necessarily always think graphic novels are the way to go when breaking out of a reading slump. I've been known to take days just to get through one comic volume. But this? Oh my goodness. It's lighthearted, it's sweet, it makes you cry happy tears. And the artwork is positively stunning. The dresses! There is not one fault within this book.
4. Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian. So one thing I like to do when slumping is read something tropey. Ash Princess is great because it hits on a lot of my favorite YA fantasy tropes while simultaneously subverting them and being surprising. It's also refreshingly socially conscious! I can't wait for the next book.
 5. Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds. I think this works because it's yet another fast-paced contemporary. I also thinks this works because of the format it's written in. Finally, by the end of the book I think it will spark your brain so much that you absolutely need to keep reading.
6. One by Sarah Crossnan. This is another book written in verse that is deeply emotional and very quick to get through. For me, reading books in verse is always a good way to feel like I'm making headway on my reading challenges. I just wish there were more!
7. Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton. This is the kind of book that dumps you into relentless action and it doesn't stop until the last page. It's so exciting and fun and the world is so different! I also loved the plot twists and surprises that happen later in the book. The best is that the whole trilogy is out so you can binge read it all in one go.
8. I Hate Everyone But You by Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin. This is about two new college students, and it's all written in texts and emails. It's quick and snappy and a really easy read!


Alexia's Picks
1. The Similars by Rebecca Hanover. Oh my goodness, this book was unlike anything I'd ever read before. It involves boarding school and clones. Throw in a mystery and this is definitely a book that will pull you out of a slump.
2. Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma. I could have picked any of Suma's books for this because she is really good at pulling me out of a reading slump. Her atmospheric, spooky stories are slump busters in the best way.
3. Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore. Oh man, this book was unlike anything I've read before, but in a completely different way than The Similars. It took me awhile to get used to the flowery language, but once I did, this book blew me away.
4. People Like Us by Dana Mele. This book told the story in a very unique way. Clues to the mystery are written in recipe format, which is something I've never seen. I was fascinated by it.
5. Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson. I could have put her debut, Allegedly, on here instead, but I decided to talk up this one since I don't think I've done that yet. This one had an ending that shattered my slump in a very unexpected way.
6. Dreamfall by Amy Plum. I love science fiction and this book delivered on the science fiction stuff in a really big way. I think I was in a mild slump when I picked this book up, but the slump was gone by the time I finished this book.
7. Hidden Pieces by Paula Stokes. I just recently read this one, but it was after 2 back to back terrible books, so I could feel a slump hitting me. The mystery that surrounded this book was definitely enough to pull me out of the slump.
8. Phantom Limbs by Paula Garner. This book shattered my heart, but also jump-started my reading again. It involved one of my favorite things to see in YA: opposite sex friendships.

Have any of our picks pulled you out of a slump?

3 comments

  1. The Prince and the Dressmaker was so good! I loved it so much more than I expected to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think an alternate format is always a good way to bust a slump. You have some amazing ones up there too. I loved a Long Way Down and the Illuminae Files is one of my favorite series. Gahhhh! Phantom Limbs is one of my favorites. Otis was so wonderful! McLemore's writing in Wild Beauty was so lush and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You basically listed my whole TBR. :) I need to read a lot of these. I have read Illuminae. I really liked that one.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete