Top Ten Tuesday: Books We Don't Mention Enough

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
This week we're talking about books we don't mention enough on our blog

Bekka's Picks
 1. Underneath Everything by Marcy Beller Paul. I was absolutely in love with this book when I read it a few years ago. It still stands out as a favorite. It has everything I love in a contemporary, from the darkness and tension to the biiiiiiiiiiii characters. I love this to pieces and I need to recommend it more often.
2. Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick.  Another story about a tragic, toxic, bad girl. Those are my favorite stories, after all. If you want intense, heartbreaking, headspinning drama, this is the book for you. I could not put it down when I read it a few years ago. I think it's time for a reread.

3. The Archived by Victoria Schwab. I know most of V's fame comes from her adult SFF (Shades of Magic, Vicious/Vengeful) but I fell in love with her work through her YA paranormal series, The Archived. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend that you do. It's so creative and clever, and I love Mackenzie. 

4. Tides by Betsy Cornwell. This is one of my all-time favorite paranormal stories. It takes some of my favorite creatures, the selkies, and blends it with a beautiful sense of setting. The writing is vivid and gorgeous and the characters are all too real. There's just so much going on, so much packed into every word. If you want a spin on your average YA paranormal creature story, you should really try this.

5. Glory O'Brien's History of the Future by AS King. So AS King is known for writing some really weird books, and this is no exception. How many authors have thought about their characters drinking a petrified bat? Exactly. But if you give weird a chance, you'll find this to be an incredibly engaging, poignant novel about mental illness, feminism, and being an active participant in the world around you.

Alexia's Picks
1. Relative Strangers by Paula Garner. I think I'm gonna be the only person talking about Paula Garner's books. I think I featured her first book on a previous post similar to this one and now I get to talk about this book. I read this book earlier this year and it gutted me in a way I didn't expect. I spent nearly the entire book wanting to hug everyone in it (and I don't hug people) It was a stunning book that I wish more people were aware of.

2. And She Was by Jessica Verdi.
Like I've said before, I am a diehard Jessica Verdi fan and I couldn't wait to read this book. It features a mother/daughter relationship that is seemingly stable until the daughter learns the truth about her mother. I had never read a book featuring a transgender character, and I was really hoping it would be done well, and Verdi did an amazing job with this book.

3. Wild Beauty by Anna-Marie McLemore.
Beautiful, flowery writing is not normally my thing, but oh man, Wild Beauty exceeded my expectations in the best possible way. It made me realize that I need to read my review copies of McLemore's previous books. 

4. Just Visiting by Dahlia Adler. Dahlia Adler has yet to disappoint me and this book based around two best friends did not disappoint either. It's one of Adler's lesser known books for reasons I cannot even begin to understand. Friendship needs to be featured even more in YA, and Just Visiting does that, but with a smattering of romance too.

5. How to Make A Wish by Ashley Herring Blake.
I read all three of Blake's YA books this year, actually back to back (I did not plan it that way) and as much as I loved this year's release, I wanted to feature last year's release for this post. It was a story about family, about friendship and about love. It had probably my favorite couple of the year in it.

Have you read any of these?

12 comments

  1. I love this list, especially because you mentioned Wild Beauty and How to Make a Wish, which are the two books that have meant the most to me as far as their bi rep goes. <3 I love them so much, and both authors are so talented!

    — Destiny @ Howling Libraries
    T10T: Scared of the Hype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Wild Beauty - I've been so torn about whether or not to read it. I adore its gorgeous cover and hope it's as beautiful inside as it is outside! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mackenzie is one of my favourite Schwab heroines. She went through so much that I simply wanted to hug her. And Wesley <3 Maybe now that the book series will be released in UK, The Archived and its character will receive the love it deserve.

    Happy readings!
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And She Was looks interesting! Sorry for deleting - I'm at work and realized I posted something instead of my link. Hahaha. Sick brain for the win, I guess!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to check out The Archived - I had only heard of the adult series by Schwab. I read something by A. S. King before, and it was too weird for me. Beautiful writing, but my brain kept trying to make it make more sense than it would. I'm super intrigued by Just Visiting. I agree that YA needs more friendship stories! Adding that one to my list, too. Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read The Archived and I enjoyed it, though personally I prefer Schwab's adult stuff to her YA.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/09/11/top-ten-tuesday-176/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these! I wish The Archived was easier to find in used bookstores. I really want to read it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All AS King's books should be mentioned all the time, because they are brilliant. I still think she is my gold standard when it comes to magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AHHH The Archived is amazing! I loved it!

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking at Relative Strangers at the library but haven't picked it up yet. I'll have to grab it the next time I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to try The Archived - I can't wait to try it. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete