Book Review: The Complication by Suzanne Young

Book Title & Author: The Complication (The Program #6) by Suzanne Young
Published by: Simon Pulse on April 24th, 2018
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 464
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Goodreads
🌟🌟🌟🌟1/2
Synopsis: 
How do you go back to a life you can’t remember? Find out in this sixth novel in the New York Times bestselling Program series from Suzanne Young.

Every cure has a cost.


Tatum Masterson learned this after years of being monitored by The Program. She witnessed it when her boyfriend, Wes, came back changed, erased. And now, even the newest “cure” has a heavy cost—one she and Wes paid.


The Adjustment came into Tatum’s life just when she thought she needed it most, a promise for Wes to get back his forgotten memories. But when the procedure went wrong, a revelation shattered everything Tatum thought she knew.


Now, with no one left to trust, Tatum must find out what really happened last summer. And with the help of the boyfriend she lost, Tatum will have to dig into the past and future of The Program and its handlers.

And discover the true cost of a cure.


Review:
I cannot believe I have to say goodbye to this series. I never wanted it to end and now that I finished the final book in the series, it hurts. It hurts almost as badly as finishing the Harry Potter series hurt. That's how much I loved this series.

I really wish I had reread at LEAST The Adjustment before I read this book. I was having a heck of a time remembering characters and it was driving me insane. I would remember a certain character and then wrack my brain trying to remember where I knew them from. Which timeline? The before timeline with Quinlan McKee or the after timeline with Sloane Barstow. I started to wonder if my memory was still problematic after my health scare in November.

Suzanne Young is an absolute wizard at storytelling. She managed to keep all the threads from all of the books in this series together. I think all of my questions about this world were answered by the end of this book. She wrapped up all the threads of all of of the storylines. It takes a wizard to be able to do that effectively.

By now, I've come to expect bombshell after bombshell in this series and this book did not disappoint me in that way. I got my bombshells. Some of it I guessed and some of it I didn't, but that's another mark of a fantastic storyteller like Suzanne Young.

I was not a huge fan of the romance between Tatum and Weston. I'm trying to remember if I liked them together in The Adjustment, but I don't remember. I mean, they weren't horrible together and they did have chemistry together, but I felt like they were better as friends. Especially once certain things came to light. Especially about how The Program fit into everything concerning Wes & Tatum.

It was so good seeing all the familiar faces. Realm, Dallas, Sloane, James and several others. I think having all these familiar faces make cameos made the book even stronger. I actually want to reread the entire series now because I didn't realize how much I had missed these characters. Especially the ones I hadn't seen in awhile like Sloane, James and Dallas.

Final thoughts: Awesome ending to an awesome series. I am sad to see it end, but I look forward to seeing what Suzanne Young writes next.

No comments