TTT Books With Sensory Memories

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl
This week's topic is books with strong associated memories

Bekka's Picks

So, this is a strange topic. I'm not sure I have particularly SENSORY memories attached to any book. But there are certain books where I will never forget what I was doing when I read them. So that's what I'm sharing with you guys today.


1. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard. I have some really fond memories surrounding this book, but also one really, really terrible one, too. First, I got this arc at BEA 2016. I had the best time camping out early for it and then racing to the line to make sure I got my copy. Then, when I read it on the train home from New York, something really awful and triggering happened on that train. I was totally fine, so don't worry about me. But it's something that will stick in my head forever.

2. Ask the Passengers by A.S. King. I got this particular arc at BEA 2012, my first ever BEA experience. And I read it in one sitting that night in the hotel room, my feet aching, my ankles swollen, exhausted from my first ever book convention. It was made extra special because the book that got me into blogging was The Dust of 100 Dogs, also written by A.S. King.

3. Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer. I think we all have some strong Twilight memories. I remember eagerly anticipating the final installment; going to the midnight release to get it. It came out the summer after I graduated high school; I was living with my boyfriend at the time, on my own really for the first time. I brought that book everywhere I could. I read it on the bus to work, I read it during breaks, I read it at the pool, I read it everywhere to the point where I started to annoy the shit out of my friends lol.

4. Caraval by Stephanie Garber. This book is always going to be special to me because I read it while I was in labor with Rosie. I even took it to the hospital with me. And it was the first book I finished after she was born. When I see the cover or think about the characters, I'm always brought back to the day she was born. I'm so happy I loved it, too, since that'd be awkward, tying a book I hated to the  most important event of my life lol.

5. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. I read this one while Rosie was a newborn as well. I can clearly remember being curled up on the couch, teeny tiny baby Rosalie nestled on my chest, feeling her heartbeat, her warmth, and reading this book. Those early weeks when all baby wants is to be snuggled are some of the most precious moments, and I'll always remember them along with this story.

2 comments

  1. I love that you were reading while you were in labor. Awesome (and an awesome book too). Very cool memories. I sort of have a memory attached to Caraval. My daughter/co-blogger got me that book at BEA and it was amid this huge crush and chaos of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also got my copy at BEA! While pregnant haha. The place was an absolute madhouse for that book.

      Delete