What I've Been Up to This Summer


As you've probably noticed, the blog has been a bit... empty lately. And that's because I've been SO BUSY. I really love blogging, and second only to reading, it's my main hobby. It's also my main outlet for creativity and expressing myself, since I never really write fiction anymore. So it's been a little sad to let it fall by the wayside lately, but at the same time, life is crazy over here. I am tired and when I sit down and open up my laptop, I end up on Twitter talking to my friends or on other forms of social media because they're a lot less emotionally exhausting. (When I stay in private messages; the public world is definitely emotionally exhausting.)

Anyway, I've had a burst of creative motivation this week and I've been chugging along, writing new posts and coming up with some ideas for later this year. I thought I'd share some real life updates with you guys to let you all know what I've been up to.

Pregnancy

20 weeks!

I have officially reached the halfway point in this pregnancy. It has been rough. When I was pregnant with Rosalie I had fair amount of health problems: pre-eclampsia, gallstones, a breast lump, SPD, and morning sickness throughout the entire nine months. This pregnancy is about the same. I've had chronic fatigue, bad liver pain, extreme morning sickness to the point of losing like 10-15lbs. I had a gestational diabetes scare recently, but thankfully I passed that test with nice and low numbers. No tumors or infections have shown up yet, and my blood pressure so far is normal, but I am having a terrible time walking. So I'm sick and hobbling all of the time. It's been wonderful.

Despite the pain and illness, I've reached some really fun milestones so far. We found out that this baby is going to be a boy! We have a name picked out and we've started buying his clothes and going through Rosie's old things to get him some hand-me-downs. I feel him moving all the time, from the inside and the outside; he's in constant dance party mode!

Family

Rosie, Mike, and I took a wonderful vacation at the end of June. We went to Bucks County, PA, which doesn't sound like much, but it's where we lived before we moved to NC. We got to see some family and my best friend and Rosie got to meet everyone for the first time. The big highlight of our trip was going to Sesame Place! Rosie absolutely loves Elmo and Big Bird, so she had the time of her life seeing them in person. Plus it was a water park, so there was a ton of swimming and even some rides. The whole place is designed for littles, so virtually nothing was off limits. 

Best Day Ever
As you all know, summer has been excruciatingly hot across the country, which has made it hard to get Rosie out and about. Plus with me being hugely pregnant and sick already, it's really not comfortable to be out too much. We've spent a lot of time indoors this summer. Rosie has even figured out how to work the WiiU game pad lol. We've been utilizing the libraries and the indoor park, plus the kiddie pool and umbrellas in the back yard. I think we may make a day trip to Pigeon Forge, or maybe a weekend to Atlanta sometime next month. 

Reading

I haven't been reading as much recently as I was at the beginning of the year. But I have read some really great books this summer. I spent the month of May rereading the last few volumes in the Harry Potter series, books I haven't visited in years. It was so much fun to relive this series and discover new things previously unnoticed. 

I discovered some new favorites books! Daughters of the Storm by Kim Wilkins really sticks out. I also finally read Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman while on vacation and cried like a baby in the middle of the night when I finished it. Talk about a heartbreak. The graphic novel Bingo Love really surprised and impressed me, too!

Right now I'm reading Bright We Burn by Kiersten White which is by far my most-anticipated release of the year. However, I'm in the biggest reading slump ever right now and haven't been reading much at all. In fact, I've been spending most of my free time on Call of Duty or watching horror movies. Anyone else ready for fall?



How has your summer been? Tell me in the comments all about your recent travels and what books you've loved over the last few weeks!

No comments