Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

This tag originated on BookTube, created by Chami. I love doing this every year so of course now that we've reached the halfway point, I'm doing it again. I lost my 2018 goals post, so I won't be able to do a check-in for that, so this will have to suffice for mid-year orginization.

My goal for my Goodreads reading challenge is 50 books. Last year I was a new mom and had no idea what reading was going to be like. This year, I decided to go easy on myself because of that. That being said, I'm currently at 47 books read as of June 29th. So I think I'll do okay! Now, onto the questions.

1. Best book you've read so far in 2018.

The Song of Achilles was actually the first book I read this year, and though 5-stars is my most-given rating this year, this is still the best of the best. 

Runners up include Gemina, The Prince and the Dressmaker, and Dear Martin.

 2. The best sequel you've read so far in 2018.

 I loved Caraval, but I loved Legendary so much more. Tella is such a great, proactive main character and her love triangle brought me to my knees.

Runners up include Gemina and Obsidio.

3. New releases you haven't read yet, but want to.

So these three are like my most-anticipated reads for 2018 and I've totally dropped the ball here. But I hope they will be read this summer! Children of Blood and Bone absolutely will but I may leave the other two for Halloween time.

4. Most anticipated releases for the second half of the year.

I am so excited for all three of these. Boneless Mercies and Sawkill Girls are all about dark, angry girls and maybe queer girls?? Undying is the sequel to Unearthed with fucked my WHOLE brain up so I need to know wtf is going on.

5. Biggest disappointment.

 I could not express to you the level of betrayal I feel from this book. Follow Me Back was crazy, compelling, fun, and surprising. Tell Me No Lies fell flat in every way possible. It depended on the characters being stupid and acting out of character. It was a hot mess.

6. Biggest surprise.

  I obviously don't start books with the intent to dislike them, but at the same time, I've never felt HUGE feelings ove a graphic novel. The Prince and the Dressmaker however? AMAZING. Incredible. A must-read.

7. New favorite author.

 I loved everything about this book from the window into a new culture, to the humor, to the adorable romance. What I loved most though was the main character, Mei. I can't wait to read anything Gloria Chao writes in the future.

Honorable mention to Nic Stone and Kim Wilkins.

8. Newest fictional crush.

Hands down this goes to Jacks from Legendary. What an insufferable asshole, I love him.

9. New favorite characters.

 All of the sisters from Daughters of the Storm, most especially Bluebell and Rose. I loved Bluebell for her strength and her loyalty and I related to Rose as a mother on such a deep level that I'd never experienced before.

10. Book that made you cry.

 I wasn't sure what to expect from Call Me By Your Name, especially since it has some, well, questionable scenes. But wow did I cry like a big old baby when it was over. I felt like I lived a whole lifetime and when the book was over I mourned the characters.

11. Book that made you happy.

You know, there are so many, but this hands down has to go to my Harry Potter reread. I read through Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows, which are definitely the darker and sadder books of the series. But being back with these characters, in this world I love so much it's like a second home, well, nothing could have made me happier. I also hadn't read those three books in a loooong time (I've only read DH once! The day it came out!) so I had a ton of fun rediscovering the many tiny details Rowling wove into the story, as well as appreciating the characters on an even deeper level now that I'm an adult and have better reading skills than I did ten years ago.

12. The most beautiful book you bought so far this year.

 I can't take any pictures rightnow because the sky is hideously cloudy and it's pouring down rain, so there's no good lighing. But have you guys SEEN Furyborn? Even if you don't want to buy it for yourself, I highly recommend going to a bookstore just to take a look at this beauty in person.

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Oh my god, there are SO many. I have a whole list of 2018 TBR books I want to get to this year. Not to mention all the new releases I haven't gotten to yet. I think the ones I'm pushing myself to get to the most are The Cruel Prince, Fireblood, Song of the Current, and Children of Blood and Bone.

1 comment

  1. TSOA is one of the best books I've ever read and I'm about to reread OotP! I only have read all the books once, but so far it feels really good to go back to the world :)

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete