Witchy YA Books On My TBR



I love witches, of all kinds. Since I was a little girl, I've been obsessed with it. From the fantastical Harry Potter and Wizard of Oz, to the more grounded practices of Wicca, and more recently, reading about brujeria. Basically, any kind of woman practicing magic has a special lure for me.

I recently read Toile & Trouble, a YA anthology about all sorts of different witches practicing their craft. It was amazing, and it made me want to read all the witchy YA on my TBR. So I'm going to share them here today and maybe get some opinions about where I should start.


Undead Girl Gang by Lilly Anderson. This one I know for sure I want to read soon. It was one of my most anticipated releases this year but then I just... lost track of it. Oops. Anyway, if you don't know, this is about a girl who raises her friend back from the dead after that friend was murdered. 

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova. I don't actually know too much about this except this is obviously about brujas and everyone seems to love it. I don't know much about this side of witchcraft, but I do know that I want to learn more and fiction has always been my first introduction to anything I've been interested in.

Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle. I have no idea why I haven't read this yet. I absolutely loved her debut, The Accident Season; I thought she perfectly captured the mood and atmosphere I want in a Halloween-centric tale. This one, about a spellbook that brings back lost things, is likely to be just as good, if not better. 

Chime by Franny Billingsley. So many of my friends have given this the full five-stars. And I've had it on my physical tbr for years! This is a historical story about a girl who talks to spirits in the woods while living in a very anti-witch village. I've read the first few pages and it starts off with the main character trying to convince you not to read on, telling you that she ought to be hanged. I need it.

Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill. This is another Salem Witch type story, except this one is written in verse. I don't actually know much more than that, and I don't think I need to.

The Brilliant Death by Amy Rose Capetta. This isn't strictly about "witches" in the sense that the rest of these books are. But it IS about a girl who turns her enemies into music boxes. I don't know, but it seemed to fit this list perfectly. Women using magic ambitiously is my thing.

The Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry. This is another one that's not about witches in a traditional sense. Instead, the main character is hunted as a heretic. I've never read anything like that before and I love Berry's other work. But it's long, so I've been putting it off lol.

How to Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather. This is marketed as the Salem Witch Trials meets Mean Girls. It's about descendents of the major players during the witch trials, a curse, and a ghost. I really, really hope it lives up to the hype of that discription.

Balefire by Cate Tiernan. I absolutely LOVE the Sweep series by this author. I've read all 15 books multiple times over the course of like 15 years. I love it so, so much. This is another witchy series by her, this time about New Orleans and a secret twin.

The Graces by Laure Eve. I know absolutely nothing about this one except some minor mentions of witches in the blurb and that it's a hugely divisive title. Apparently you either love it or hate it. I don't know about you, but I love reading something like that, just to see where you fall amid all the "controversy."


So, have you read any of these? Which are your favorites, and where should I start when I finally tackle my witchy YA tbr?

2 comments

  1. I have How To Hang A Witch on my TBR too, I'm always interested with the Salem massacre and love books that talks/related to that era!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
  2. I...want to read the Graces now to see where i fall in the divide.

    ReplyDelete